Reedy Creek Nature Preserve & Park
February 3, 2024 - 10:00 to 12:00Price: $10.00
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
- Orienteering is based on self-navigating a course in a local park (on or off trail / walking or running). All events have a range of courses designed by distance and navigational skill. Courses are identified by color (click here to see course colors for beginner, novice, intermediate, and advance levels).
- You participate based on the (color) course you choose. At the event – maps are issued to registered participants with the course they chose already plotted on it. Click here to properly determine which [color] course is right for you.
- Participation is fairly straight-forward; but there are a few rules & reminders. Click here to see what to expect with an orienteering event.
- Participation is by individuals or groups purchasing maps. For multiple maps – the group organizer (or parent for a family) should purchase all maps & register on behalf of their party. There’s no need for individual registration of every group participant. However, every adult (18+) participating must indicate their indemnification by signing a waiver either by being the purchaser or by bringing a signed form with them to the event. Click here to get the adult waiver form.
- All youth participants must have a responsible adult present at the event at all times. Youth group leaders are strictly responsible for their participants and are responsible for permission & waivers from parents (the club does not need these).
- There are no medical staff present during the event and some venues may not have full cell phone coverage. All participants should assess their own abilities and health conditions to participate. Click here for injury and risk factors of orienteering.
HOW TO REGISTER & PAY
- No walk-up for same-day registration or cash payment allowed. There are no extra maps at events.
- Individuals or a group leader register & pay online below (tickets = maps). Purchase by indicating how many maps wanted (by color) and filling out the form. Please disregard coupons/ codes (not used at this time). A discount for bringing your own finger stick(s) is available by clicking on the appropriate button during registration.
- Each map costs $10 and groups may share a map (up to 5 people).
- Maps are the intellectual property of the Carolina Orienteering Klubb and may not be reproduced or reused without expressed permission.
- Maps are issued at the venue based on pre-event registration and are pre-printed with courses on them. A finger stick is issued, along with a map, for participants who do not bring one with them.
- All sales are final. Orienteering is a rain or shine activity (if the park is open – orienteering is on).
- All map sales end at 7PM the Wednesday before the event (no exceptions – we have to preprint all the maps….).
- Map sales may be limited by the park and may be sold out prior to the event. The club and all participants must respect and comply with all park rules.
Special note: Electronic timing is used on all courses. Click here for a brief explanation
- All participants must use a “finger stick” carried with them on a course to record time
- Payment for a map includes a loaned finger stick ($36 replacement cost if lost)
- Participants are encouraged to purchase their own finger stick (click here for a sample vendor)
- For individuals or groups with their own finger stick – please indicate this on the registration form to receive a $2.00 discount on the sale
All participants are timed on the course with a strict 3-hour maximum to complete. DO NOT SIMPLY LEAVE if you cannot finish for any reason – please contact the event organizer to let them know you’re off a course (safety is our #1 goal and we must account for everyone).
Please feel free to contact the event organizer (below) with any questions or concerns. Periodic updates are also posted on the club’s FB page.